• November 17Dec 20 - Early Dismissal at 1:00 p.m.

• November 17Dec 3- Boys 7th/8th A teams basketball game at 8:00 a.m

• November 16Nov 28 - 7th/8th A & B teams will play at 5pm

7th Grade G.T. goes to Austin

Brianna Brodin, Editor

On November 9, 2016, seventh grade Gifted and Talented (G.T.) students took a trip to Austin, Texas where they visited the Bullock Museum of Texas History, and toured the Capitol building and grounds. Accompanied by 4th grade G.T. students they made the four hour journey; passing time with games, movies, and music the ride still seemed to last an eternity.
When they finally arrived at the museum explored the wreckage of French Explorer René-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de la Salle’s (reh ⁕ NAY ,roh ⁕ BEAR, kah ⁕ vel ⁕ YAY, soor, duh lah SAHL) boat the La Bell, which was the Biggest of the four ships he sailed on when coming from France.
G.T. students were then ushered to a small cinema to watch the expedition of La Salle, through the eyes of a young boy. After the highly realistic film, they were up and moving again, they visited the second and third floors; which held information about the Texas Revolution, and the effects of the Holocaust on Texas.
Next up was the Capitol Building. After a few quick pictures they were inside the visitor’s center, discussing the different types of settlers and the issues they faced during the 1600’s.
Once finished there they walked down to the building where all the business happens…
The House of Representatives!!
Following the guide students visited the dome, where they were questioned about the Six Flags Over Texas and Texas Governor’s. Looking up to see spiraling rails from the three stories above them, they saw the oh-so familiar star of Texas on the roof.
Continuing the tour they visited the House Chambers, and were quizzed on their knowledge of the Alamo as well as the Battle of San Jacinto, viewing paintings of both historical events, and learning more information about how the legislative branch works.
Wide-eyed from the amount of information they had received, they moved towards one of our own Representative’s office where they spoke with one of the many staff members for Ellis County’s Representative John Wray. After finding out that Ferris’s own valedictorian Taylor Frontera is a staff intern there, they moved on to his own private quarters where they all took turns sitting, and posing for pictures in his official chair.
Bringing the trip to an end, they visited the Capitol Gift Shop and then loaded back onto the bus where they began the long journey home, barely missing the protest that marched outside the Capitol’s main building.